Farm Accounting and Management Resources
- The Ag Decision Maker is a series of worksheets developed by Craig Chase out of Iowa State University to determine the cost of production in an enterprise budget format. Chase’s forms are free to download from his website.
- Richard Wiswall recently published a farm business management book geared towards organic vegetable growers called The Organic Farmer’s Business Handbook. It is available for purchase on his website and at other book stores.
- Midwest Organic & Sustainable Education Service (MOSES) also developed a book for vegetable growers to manage farm finances called Fearless Farm Finances. This book is available through the MOSES store online.
- John Hendrickson, CIAS Outreach Specialist, published a report in 2005 called Grower to grower: Creating a livelihood on a fresh market vegetable farm.It is available at the CIAS website for free, and includes helpful tables for developing farm budgets and realistic expectations while making your farm plan.
- Sustainable Vegetable Production From Start-Up to Market by Vernon Grubinger published in 1999 is another excellent resource. The book covers topics from marketing to production practices and includes helpful farm budget sidebars. It is available for purchase at the Growing For Market webpage.